“JC” Williamson learned the general store trade so thoroughly from working for the Levy Brothers that he soon opened his own general store called “Williamson’s.” In 1887 he succeeded Joe Levy as Pescadero’s postmaster. Williamson proved he could be innovative, too, incorporating the bank business (until the 1920s) into his general store, lending money, at no interest, for which he was roundly loved.
As the 1890s approached, Pescadero looked with optimism toward the 20th century. “JC” Williamson was building a two story 25×40 addition to his general store. Ninety students had enrolled in the new public school, and, with music high on the list of the villagers, a brass band was organized. But when it came to proof of spirit, the locals pointed to the bud on the 15-foot-tall “century plant” growing in Barzillia Hayward’s front yard. No more needed to be said.
Every happy story has its ups and downs; its villains and heroes.
Rumors spread that Loren Coburn, was going to build a hotel and new townsite at or near Pebble Beach. He “forbid” the public admission to Pebble Beach and gave notice that the carrying away of colored stones would be regarded as “highway robbery.”
This hotel, with porches and porticoes, was to stand two stories high at the mouth of Bean Hollow. Coburn intended to purchase the lumber from San Francisco and have it delivered to Pigeon Point Landing.
Further, it was learned that Loren had made an agreement with the West Shore Railroad, the company planning to build an iron road from San Francisco to Santa Cruz. In the agreement, with work scheduled to begin in 1897, Coburn stipulated that two “maintenance” stations be built on his property, both at Pebble Beach, a place he wanted renamed “Coburnville.”